That Tom Petty, he's a heartbreaker. Just ask Michele Bachmann.
Tom Petty, perhaps the greatest three-chord songwriter ever, has sent a cease-and-desist letter to Michele Bachmann for her use of "American Girl" on the campaign trail. I suppose it's weird for a presidential candidate to refer to themselves as a girl in the first place. "American Woman" by the Guess Who would seem to be the more sophisticated choice, if the band wasn't Canadian and it wasn't actually an anti-American diatribe. But if Ronald Reagan could make Born in the U.S.A. work, why not?
Anyway, in honor of the songwriter's whining, I present 10 Tom Petty songs to describe life under the Obama administration.
10. You Don't Know How it Feels (to be paying $4 for gas)
9. Time to Move On (One term only)
8. Free Fallin' (as in the dollar, the economy, the president's approval ratings)
7. Breakdown (of the American Dream)
6. Even the Losers (get recess appointed sometimes)
5. You Got Lucky (on capturing Osama)
4. Don't Do Me Like That (as ObamaCare will)
3. Refugee (cuz your policies have us living like one)
2. It's Good to be King (not so good to be your subject)
1. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)
Don't worry, Mike Campbell. I'm still your biggest fan.