quotable

"Once abolish God and the government becomes the God." -G.K. Chesterton

Sunday, March 20, 2011

March Maddening

Since I just finished portraying him in a short musical, allow me to quote the great philosopher Socrates: "I only know that I know nothing." Or as I often write here, it's amazing how often we don't know what we think we know. This applies to libelous liberals more than conservatives, but nevertheless, no words could do a better job of reflecting how I feel after watching my NCAA bracket evaporate this year in the first two rounds. And that means I'm getting my butt kicked by President Obama, which only adds insult to injury.

Given all the crazy, questionable, never-in-my-lifetime calls the refs have been making lately, I'm beginning to think the NCAA tournament was rigged this year to make sure the president's picks advance. The end of the Texas-Arizona game was mind-numbing. Even Rick Pitino said it felt like an awfully quick 5 second count, and one that basically handed the game to Arizona (which, by the way, was one of the president's upsets). Then there was the no-call at the other end of the court as Gary Johnson got mauled grabbing the rebound. I don't even need to go into the Pitt-Butler game. Has a foul ever been called when rebounding a free throw with less than one second left, let alone 90 feet away from the opposing team's basket? Something stinks and it smells worse than pro-union protesters camped out in state capitols.

After bragging about my record in recent office pools (and it was stellar), my can't-miss tips have missed badly this year (the ones I always rely on) and my expertise has apparently expired as my bracket has been blown to smithereens. Two of my Final Four teams have already been eliminated, and it looks like I will only get 10 of my Sweet 16 teams correct. VCU? Never saw it coming. Utah State as an upset? Complete bust. About the only thing I can brag about getting right is 12 seed sleeper Richmond, and hopefully Ohio State as the eventual national champ.

Not that I even like the Buckeyes or plan on rooting for them now that my bracket is shot. San Diego State is my favorite team due to Steve Fisher's back story. Besides, how can you not root for a team called the Aztecs? It sounds like a Mexican restaurant. Aztecs all the way, baby!

It's just basketball. And I guess that's the point. Have a little fun, don't take it too seriously, and enjoy the distraction from real world problems. It would be nice if I thought that's how the president felt about it, too, but I have an inclination he put way more effort into his bracket than taking any type of leadership role on Libya or Japan. Or the crippling national debt. Or the economy. Or skyrocketing gas prices. 

Sure. It's March Madness, but America's march to obscurity is even more maddening.

No comments:

Post a Comment